This is a FAQ entry. See the main FAQ index for others.
This is not a simple question. Here are many posts that address it with charts.
- Aaron Carroll’s series on this question. Scroll down for links to series’ posts [includes charts].
- Why your stitches cost $1,500, part 1 [chart]
- Why your stitches cost $1,500, part 2 [chart]
- Distributions of health care spending by source, age, and income bands [charts]
- Why the US spends more on health care [charts]
- Four health care cost factors [chart]
- Insurer administrative costs by group size [chart]
- Prices for various health goods and services US vs. other countries [charts]
- Outpatient care explosion [chart]
- What caused the outpatient care explosion? [charts]
- Spending in Texas [charts]