This is a FAQ entry. See the main FAQ index for others.
- How insurance functions like bulk purchasing, achieving discounts on volume
- If insurers suffer cost shifting, they lack sufficient market power [see also the other cost shifting FAQs]
- Insurer market power tells us nothing about premiums
- The co-evolution of insurer and hospital market power explains a lot [charts]
- How market concentration can be good
- Managed care and hospital bargaining
- Read Austin’s paper on insurer-hospital balance of power
Plenty more here.