Austin emailed me this morning to tell me of the new addition to his family – an iPad. This is a big deal, as Austin is not nearly the early adopter that I am.
He asked me what are the most important apps to get. I was preparing a list for him, and thought I might as well throw it up here. I’d ask all of you to help him (and maybe me) as well.
I’m going to break things out by caterogy, and also note when apps actually cost money. So many awesome apps are free.
- Netflix – maybe the best reason to have an iPad
- Kindle – love that I can read my kindle purchases on every device
- Instapaper ($) – totally worth the money
- Orb live ($) – yes, you have to set your home computer up with Orb and cable to stream, but every time I break out the live TV, someone is amazed
- Twitter – I think the basic Twitter app is best
- SiriusXM Online – yes, you need the service ($)
- Starbucks – nothing beats reloading my Starbucks card while in line at the Starbucks drive through
- Planets – yes, I’m a telescope nerd. Have you seen Saturn from your backyard lately?
- SugarSync – yes, you need the basic service, but being able to send documents from my iPad/iPhone is invaluable
- Movies – love the showtimes
- Southwest – how else do you get in the “A” boarding section 24 hours before your flight?
- HotBoxPizza – I wrote this app for a friend, so it’s awesome, of course
- Skype – making international calles over wifi for pennies is amazing
- WeatherStation – much better than the simple weather app
- Find iPhone – so great they made this a free addition
- Angry Birds ($) – ridiculously addictive. Get the “seasons” addition, too
- FlightControl ($)
- Monopoly ($) – my kids can’t get enough
- Words Free
- TowerMadness – prepare to give up all your free time. Get the flamethrower ($) upgrade. It’s worth it
Games my kids love that don’t appeal to me as much
- MyMakeup ($) – I love my little girl.
- MyHair ($) – did I mention how much I love my little girl?
- NFL 2011 ($)
- More Grillin ($) – It’s just a grill and fixins. But they love it.
- Cooking Academy ($) – actually, I secretly love this one, too
- Creamy Ice
What am I missing here?