I’m going to spend May and July (with a break in between) learning about the history of The Civil War. Since there are two months, I’ll read more than ususl. You’ve already given me some great ideas. I want to post them here, so you can help me prioritize what to read. If you think I’m missing something, please tell me. I’m opening comments, or you can tweet me.
- A lot of you said “Anything by Foner”. Please be more specific. 🙂
- Battle Cry of Freedom: The Civil War Era, by James M. McPherson
- Grant, by Ron Chernow
- Some of you said “Bruce Catton’s 3-book history of the Civil War”. Which one? 🙂
- Reading the Man: A Portrait of Robert E. Lee Through His Private Letters, by Elizabeth Brown Pryor
- Out of the House of Bondage: The Transformation of the Plantation Household, by Thavolia Glymph
- Life and Times of Frederick Douglass, by Frederick Douglass
What do you all think? Any thoughts on the order?