Another myth that refuses to die:
Every once in a while chain emails or Facebook posts make their way back into prominence. It happened last year with HPV killing girls. Recently, it seems to be Fluoride. A number of you have been forwarding me a post from last year which features a meta-analysis published a few years ago on Fluoride and IQ. So let’s talk about Fluoride!
For those of you who came here for more information or for references, here you go:
- Developmental Fluoride Neurotoxicity: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis
- New York City 2011 Drinking Water Supply and Quality Report
- Fluoridation Facts
- Achievements in Public Health, 1900-1999: Fluoridation of Drinking Water to Prevent Dental Caries
- The effectiveness of community water fluoridation in the United States
- Fluoridation of Water and Cancer: A Review of the Epidemiological Evidence
- Systematic review of water fluoridation
- Efficacy of preventive agents for dental caries. Systemic fluorides: water fluoridation
- Health Effects of Ingested Fluoride
- Effectiveness of water fluoridation
- A half-century of community water fluoridation in the United States: review and commentary
- Ten Great Public Health Achievements in the 20th Century
Some of this was adapted from our first book, Don’t Swallow Your Gum, copyright © 2009 by the authors and reprinted by permission of St. Martin’s Griffin. If you like this kind of stuff, go buy a copy.