We (Rob Stevens and Austin Frakt) are putting together a survey of people’s predictions about post-pandemic behavior and key trends. We wonder what people think some aspects of life will be like in, say, 2025. Below are the kinds of questions we’ve thought of so far. What are we missing? Tweet at us to let us know. Rob is at @robgstevens and Austin is at @afrakt. You are also free to email Austin.
All questions are “agree/disagree” as of 2025. For items that pertain to changes (e.g., “doubles,” “drops by more than 50%,” etc.), those are relative to the state of the world before the pandemic (December 2019 or so).
- Number of people working from home on a regular basis more than doubles
- Number of home-schooled students doubles
- The number and size of conventions/tradeshows drop by more than 50%
- Attendance at movies/performances/sporting events (any large gatherings) drops more than 50%
- Business travel decreases by more than 50%
- Spending on cruises decreases by more than 50%
- Handshaking decreases by more than 50%
- Restaurant spending drops by more than 50%
- Use of public transportation decreases by more than 50%
- More than 50% of people wear a face mask when they are ill
- More than 50% of people get health insurance from somewhere other than through their employer
- More than 50% of population is covered by mandatory paid sick leave
- More than 50% of people use telemedicine for a doctors visit in a year
- Unemployment is above 10%