I’m in a bit of a cynical mood, so you’ll have to tolerate a little sarcasm from me here. Are there people alive who don’t yet know we have an obesity problem? If there are, would they possibly be convinced the problem exists by one more report or study? No? Then can we all agree that we need to stop pointing out the problem and maybe do something about it?
The Institute of Medicine has released a new report, “Accelerating Progress in Obesity Prevention: Solving the Weight of the Nation“. Here’s the infographic:
To their credit, they suggest a number of actions in addition to pointing out the problem. Moreover, these recommendations acknowledge that obesity requires a holistic solution; no one thing is to blame. These steps include:
- Integrating Physical Activity Every Day in Every Way
- Making Healthy Foods Available Everywhere
- Marketing What Matters for a Healthy Life
- Activating Employers and Health Care Professionals
- Strengthening Schools as the Heart of Health
Can we get started?