I’ll be honest. I was a bit nervous about this one. But I stand by it:
There’s just no way to talk about marijuana without someone completely misinterpreting what I say. Some of you are going to call me a fascist for saying anything bad about pot. Others are going to attack me for not coming down on it hard enough. But the truth of the matter is that many things that are far more dangerous than pot are totally legal in this country. That’s not my opinion, it’s what scientific studies show us. No one is saying marijuana is totally safe. But is it so bad for you that it should be illegal, even though it has benefits? Watch and decide. Happy weed day.
For those of you who came here looking for references, here they are:
- Association Between Marijuana Exposure and Pulmonary Function Over 20 Years
- Vital Signs: Binge Drinking Prevalence, Frequency, and Intensity Among Adults — United States, 2010
- Cannabis and mortality among young men: a longitudinal study of Swedish conscripts
- Marijuana use and mortality
- Acute cannabis consumption and motor vehicle collision risk: systematic review of observational studies and meta-analysis
Additionally, we do know about this study, which came out long after we taped. But as with a lot of research, it’s being totally misinterpreted by the media. Here’s a nice article where the author of the study says the same thing.