Readers of the blog will not be surprised by this episode:
In the last few years the rates of vaccine preventable illness have been on the rise. This isn’t just something that’s happening in the United States – it’s happening throughout the world. Often, these outbreaks begin with unvaccinated people. They spread through them, too. Outbreaks occur because of a breakdown in herd immunity. That’s the topic of this week’s Healthcare Triage.
For those of you who came here looking for references, here they are:
- Vaccine preventable outbreaks are real
- Community Immunity (“Herd” Immunity)
- Near Elimination of Varicella Deaths in the US After Implementation of the Vaccination Program
- Why do we vaccinate against varicella?
- Judge Upholds Policy Barring Unvaccinated Students During Illnesses