You guys love the microbiome. You’re not alone. The sales of products containing yeasts and bacteria that will colonize your gut and make you stronger and better are legion.
I recently met a researcher who did actual microbiome work, and he didn’t seem nearly as convinced as the public. But do probiotics work? That’s the topic of this week’s Healthcare Triage.
For those of you who want to read more:
- Probiotics for the Prevention and Treatment of Antibiotic-Associated Diarrhea: A Systematic Review and Meta-analysis
- Probiotics for treating acute infectious diarrhoea
- Systematic review of randomised controlled trials: Probiotics for functional constipation
- Cochrane Collaboration: Probiotics
- Yogurt, living cultures, and gut health
- Treating infant colic with the probiotic Lactobacillus reuteri: double blind, placebo controlled randomised trial
- Probiotics and infant colic