Thanks, in part, to the generous support of the NIHCM, this month we are releasing four special episodes on Opioids. We hope you enjoy them. This week’s episode:
Opioid Abuse – Opioid drugs can be powerfully effective treatments for those in pain, but they can also be extremely dangerous. This episode explores how opioids can lead to dependence and addiction, and the effects that abuse have had in America. The episode explores how drug manufacturers, regulators, doctors, and patients have all contributed to the current crisis of opioid addiction.
For those of you who want to read more:
- The opioid painkiller and heroin epidemic, explained
- Relieving Pain in America: A Blueprint for Transforming Prevention, Care, Education, and Research
- America’s Addiction to Opioids: Heroin and Prescription Drug Abuse
- Cellular basis of memory for addiction
- Associations of Nonmedical Pain Reliever Use and Initiation of Heroin Use in the United States