For all of you who think a government shutdown is no big deal, I beg to differ. I can tell you that medical researchers all over the country (present company included) are completely screwed up by the lack of an NIH. Even the website is pretty much down. I was supposed to be on a study section tomorrow, and now that’s not going to happen. But hey, who needs medical research?
Brad Plumer has a rundown of other things, and many of them involve health. Such as:
- Millions of veterans may not receive benefits if the shutdown lasts more than two weeks. I don’t think I need to say how bad that is.
- The CDC will halt its flu program just as flu season gets underway. As if we needed another thing preventing people from getting vaccinated.
- Some food-safety operations would cease. Who needs safe food?
- Nutritional programs for women, infants and children could cease after a week. Well, if the food isn’t gonna be safe, why give it out to women and children? Do they really need to eat anyway?
- Disability benefits could be interrupted. You know, this isn’t fun. Forget it.
I’ve been trying to keep an upbeat attitude today, but – to be honest – I’m failing. This whole thing just sucks.